Sunday 11 January 2015

Magic Bites (Kate Daniels #1) by Ilona Andrews

Kate Daniels is a down-on-her-luck mercenary who makes her living cleaning up paranormal problems. Atlanta has two factions struggling for power. Masters of the Dead are necromancers who control vampires. The Pack are a paramilitary clan of shapechangers. When Kate's guardian is killed, she is caught between. 

Links:
Amazon US
Amazon UK
Goodreads






I'm not going to lie - this is my third attempt at reading this book. After reading Chloe Neill's Chicagoland Vampire Series I was hooked on Urban Fantasy and Paranormal, and everybody compared her series to this one. And I guess it took me so many attempts to read this one fully is because the beginning just didn't grip me. I'm not sure if it's because the world building wasn't explained well, or because I was just submerged in this world and was expected to know all about the Order, Guild, People, magic vs. tech, etc. Even on this attempt I couldn't get engrossed into the book until Curran and the Pack came about.

But man I'm glad I stuck around! I finally understand what all the hype is about, and am proud to admit I am fully submerged in the crazy recommendation hype that is the Kate Daniels series. I'll be recommending this book to anybody and everybody!

I soon got used to the lingo, the world, etc. I was hooked. And finished the rest of the book in one day. I wished I'd just stuck it out in the beginning as I would have read the rest of the series by now (which I'm going to do after posting this!) Yes, I'll admit I found the beginning of this book boring and dull, but after I got hooked, at about 30%, the book just moved forward fast-paced, full of action.

The moment where Kate goes to the Pack's keep was a real changer for me - the way she interacted with the Pack, Curran and the Pack Council was amazing! She didn't let anybody intimidate her, and she kicked some major ass! I am an official member of the Kate-Daniels-is-a-Badass-Club! 

And Curran. I just loved him. His 'spying' on her date, and his and Kate's banter nearly made me wet myself through laughing - not that I did, 'cause that's just gross, and I ain't 4 years old. I am in absolute awe of Curran, and his whole alpha-lion thing he has going on. And can I just say that Ilona Andrews is freaking amazing - Lion's are my fave animals so brownie points there!

For me the epilogue of the book was perfect and I can't wait to begin reading the next book of the series! I have some theories going into the next book, about Kate and her parentage - can't wait to see if they're true!

So, guys this is a must read. I'm telling you! One-click guys! One click!














No comments:

Post a Comment