Tuesday 10 February 2015

Beautiful Redemption by Jamie McGuire - Review

If a Maddox boy falls in love, he loves forever. But what if he
didn't love you first?

No-nonsense Liis Lindy is an agent of the FBI. Deciding she is married only to her job, she breaks off her engagement and transfers from Chicago to the field office in San Diego. She loves her desk. She is committed to her laptop. She dreams of promotions and shaking hands with the director after cracking an impossible case.

Special Agent in Charge Thomas Maddox is arrogant, unforgiving, and ruthless. He is tasked with putting away some of the world's toughest criminals, and he is one of the best the Bureau has to offer. Though, as many lives as he's saved, there is one that is beyond his reach. Younger brother Travis is faced with prison time for his involvement in a basement fire that killed dozens of college students, and the media wants a conviction. Travis's only saviour is his unusual tie to the mob. In a deal that will spare his brother, Thomas has agreed to recruit Travis into the FBI.

Liis is stubborn, defiant, and yet somehow softens Thomas's rough edges, making her the perfect agent to accompany him to the ceremony. Posing as a couple, they must travel to Travis and Abby's beach vow renewal and give him the news, but when the pretending ends, she finds herself wondering if they were pretending at all.

In the second installment of the Maddox Brothers books, experience firsthand the mysterious world of the elusive Thomas Maddox, and how good love can be when you're not the first, but the last.

I read Beautiful Disaster years ago and instantly became a Jamie McGuire fan. I absolutely loved Travis and that book - but as I matured I developed a distinct taste in literature and the style of writing I loved, thus I outgrew this series. However, everybody was reading about them so I thought I'd give her new series a try. I was extremely disappointed in the first book in this series. I didn't especially care about the first book as I couldn't stand the heroine. I just thought she was a heartless bitch, and I couldn't stand her roommate. Raegan just seemed like a two-faced slut, and I couldn't be dealing with the unnecessary teenage-like drama. I loved Trenton though. So I stuck it out. But then we had the secret with T.J.

And then I read this book...

I absolutely adored this freaking book! I fell madly in love with Thomas and Liis and thought they were both kick-ass! I think I loved this book more than the others because it seemed more mature and older. We didn't have whiny college students doing the whole "woe me" like the previous books. But the whole Thomas being T.J? I did not see that coming!!! I actually thought his secret was he was married at first, or that Camille was his gay-beard or something. Yes, I know what you're thinking. They slept together. So I had to scratch that theory out as well. I even went back to skim Beautiful Oblivion to see if I missed the signs... 'Sigh' I didn't.

Anyway, Liis. Can I just say how much I adored her name. It was a beautiful name, and because I loved her name so much, it's most likely one of my future daughters names (behind Ava and Evelyn). Liis, after moving to San Diego to escape her ex-fiance, goes to her local Pub to celebrate moving into her new Condo and her new job. There she meets Thomas. They have a one-night stand, but Liis believes she is emotionally unavailable so that's the end of that. Or it would have been if Thomas didn't live directly above her. Queue the awkwardness.

"If you wait a second, I'll walk you out."
"I know the way. This is my building. I'm sure we'll run into each other again."
My cheeks paled. "You live in this building?"
He peered up at the ceiling. "Just above you."
I pointed up. "The next floor up, you mean?"
"Yes, but," he said with a sheepish grin, "my place is right above yours. But I'm rarely home."

Oh, but it gets much worse. On her second day of work she finds out that Thomas is actually Agent Maddox, her boss. More awkwardness. I loved these two together. The banter, the sexual tension between the two. It was epic. But then we had Camille getting in the way (yes I am doing her name purposely in italics - sense my dislike of this character, yet?). I especially loved how Thomas thawed to Liis, how he was only soft and open with only her. It was incredibly sweet. Yes, Liis made a slight bit of drama about the whole not-over-Camille thing, but that's expected. Who wants to have feelings for and be involved with a guy who is in love with somebody else? Not me...

"I loved her first," Thomas said. "But you, Liis... you are the last woman I will ever love."

So, you probably get that I hate Camille. I didn't like her in her own book, Liis just fused the fire behind my dislike, and it grew to hatred. And I thought she had some nerve going to their hotel room before the wedding ceremony. Eurgh, moving past she-who-must-not-be-named...

I absolutely adored the Epilogue in this book. It was incredibly sweet. And I loved getting to see what their future would be like a few years down the line.

Anyway, I absolutely adored this kick-ass amazing book, and will definitely be reading the future Maddox Brothers books. You can count on it.




Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment